Monday, January 14, 2013

Culture Shock

January 8th 2013

I went climbing today!!!1111!1!!! I have officially climbed in Spain, and no one can take that away from me. And what's more? I sent everything I got on. Sure, nothing was probably over a 5.10a, but who's keeping track?

We actually walked to the mountain from Alicante. Unfortunately, the rock was tagged all over the place, which took away some of the allure of my first climbing in Spain. But that aside, all the climbs were extremely fun. Marcos and Johannes were very good company as we switched between Spanish and English the entire day. We even found a small rock climbing gym on the way back into town that is only 2 euros per visit.

And boy, is it nice to go out for a beer after climbing and not have it matter that I'm under 21 :3

January 9th 2013

This 8am class is a little taxing on me, but my ambition got the best of me. I've decided that I would be cheating myself if I demoted myself to the easier Spanish class. Fingers crossed that this isn't a mistake.

Honestly, I cannot find a single store that sells a spiral notebook. I walked around all day yesterday, and all I can find is graph paper notebooks. Additionally, they ran out of the books I need for my class, so all of my notes are written in the margins of the few handouts I've received.

This just in: My host mom gave me notebook paper :D Hooray!

January 12, 2013

I'm definitely starting to feel the culture shock here. It's difficult and a little bit frustrating living somewhere that functions on a different language.  I find myself struggling to communicate even the simplest of things, and even if I am able to choke out a coherent sentence, I am no match for understanding the response.  My reading and writing in Spanish are decent, but my speaking hearing need much improvement. I can tell I have gotten exponentially better since my arrival, but my impatience is getting the best of me. Everyone keeps saying "Don't worry, it gets easier" and "you've only been here a little over a week, give it time," but I can complain about it now. It's my blog and I do what I want. Dena ne na.

I did, however, finally find a notebook! I also bought myself some fancy warm boots in case I go north at all traveling. I don't think the Converse will cut it in below freezing temperatures. In contrast, I officially polished off the rest of my PB pretzels and am on the last leg of my Trader Joes dark chocolate D:

Turns out that I can be done with classes as early as May 3rd if I so choose. If I decide to pursue more Spanish courses I will finish May 19th. The extra 2 weeks is very enticing in terms of traveling, and I'm already considering extending my stay past the June 9th return date because no one will be home for my birthday anyway, so may as well continue the adventure. Everything is still up in the air, though.

More climbing, traveling, and overall more exciting updates to come.  I've been sick since I've arrived and settling and finding my bearings is taking more time than initially anticipated :P

Pictures:

1:  The view from my Alicante home 

2.  What it looks like every morning on my walk to school :P

3.  Resourceful birds and their street bird bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment