Tuesday, February 26, 2013

You Can't Account For Everything

February 24, 2013

This week's post is going to be a little different, as this week was a little different than the previous, and very different from anything I have ever experienced in my life.  And hopefully will never have to experience again.

Last Tuesday, I was mugged at knifepoint.  I was attacked from behind and taken away from public sight and robbed.  In the ordeal, my iPhone, iPod, and 20 euros were stolen from me.  Luckily, I do not carry around my passport or debit card on me just in case something goes terribly wrong.  I was able to walk away from the ordeal unscathed.  It just goes to show that it doesn't matter how many times you've been down the same street, or how well you know the area, this stuff can happen anywhere at any time.

The following days were spend consulting with the Alicante police about the assault and robbery.  I got a personal tour of the inside of the police station, got my fingerprints taken, and had to communicate with the police via my program director as translator.  At the moment, there is very slim hope that my property will be returned to me, but considering how the situation could have turned, I think of myself as EXTREMELY lucky.

I am fine, for those of you wondering.  I am a strong willed individual, and I am not going to let this mishap ruin my perspective of Alicante, Spain, or Europe.  I have not been deterred from normal everyday functions here and will continue to lead in my adventures as planned.  Unfortunately, this incident does leave me camera-free - a problem that will be mended shortly.

In lighter news, Hannah, Katie, and I ventured to the Valor chocolate factory on Saturday in a small pueblo north of Alicante.  The tour was free and offers free chocolate, so of course I was all over that.  The slogan for this brand of chocolate is "placer adulto," which translates to "adult pleasure".  The commercials do not fail to communicate this either, as each one is a sexual innuendo using chocolate as the scapegoat.  Sex sells, and I suppose chocolate does too.

On Sunday, I returned to my roots as a rock gym employee.  Julie, Hannah, and Katie accompanied me and my rocodromo friends in a return trip to Redovan for some outdoor climbing.  I dusted off my old script and, in my opinion, was as good as ever in teaching everyone how to have a great, safe time rock climbing.  I even flashed a 6c here!  That's almost an 11b/c which for a route that is 12+ clips is AMAZING for me.

Unfortunately, my climbing shoes have suffered some casualties, and are in the climbing shoes intensive care unit for the next week.  Resoles here are only about 20 euros, and I just need them to last me until June!

Hasta luego!

Pictures (courtesy of everyone else's cameras)


Waiting outside the chocolate factory ("I think I blinked" - Katie)

Sendage in process

6c Flash! ^_^b

If only I was in the AZR staff shirt

CHOCOLATE

Dream team climbing group :)

2 comments:

  1. You have definitely always been strong! Walk in groups okay? I will go liam neeson on dem asses

    ReplyDelete